Tuesday, September 2, 2008

People I Can Live Without

So, we were at the association office today chatting with Miss Becky (who, BTW, is an awesome Ministry Assistant) and somehow we got to talking about people we can live without. I decided I was going to blog about this topic. Now, let me say this: I could mention some names of people I really could live without that live right here in the area I now live. But, I am not a complete moron. Therefore, with apologies to Becky, I have decided to post a list of so-called celebrities I can live without.

5. Lindsay Lohan - If she would clear her voice and get sober, she wouldn't be so annoying. As a child she showed much potential to be a successful actress, now she shows potential to be included in the next Oscar night tribute to dead actors.

4. Keanu Reeves - Today's his birthday. Big deal. I think he peaked with Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

3. Brangelina JoPittlie - (a two-fer) I am beyond fed up with them and the 736 kids they've amassed. Who cares? They have money and they get a bunch of kids for a nanny to raise.

2. Britney Spears - No talent.

1. Dane Cook - I've asked several people who claim to be fans of his why exactly he is famous. No one knows. I sure don't.

So there it is. People I can live without. I hope you enjoy.

But let me say this.

We all know people we wish we didn't. You know the ones. The ones who rub us the wrong way. When we say up, they say down. They seem to be here on this earth solely to bother us. What can we do? We could just make a list of people we can live without. But that's not very nice. Sure we can live without them, but have we ever stopped to think maybe they can't live without us. Maybe the reason they are in our lives is so we can be a positive influence on them. Maybe we need to show the love of Christ to them. Maybe, just maybe, they are so annoying because that's the only way anyone ever acknowledges they exist. You know, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Perhaps they're just looking for someone to help them. Even people in our churches can be looking for someone to take an active interest in them.

I think of the Casting Crowns song "Stained Glass Masquerade" and how we sometimes go to church and pretend like everything is okay when it's not. Sometimes instead of telling a brother or sister what's going on in our lives, we go around like a spring wound up ready to snap. We become part of someone else's list of people they can live without. Maybe that's why Brother So-and-so seems like he's mad at everybody. Maybe something is going on in his life he hasn't shared and he's taking out his pain on everybody else. How many times do we think to stop and ask him if he's okay and if there's something we could pray with him about. We don't. I don't.

Now don't get me wrong, some people are just plain mean. But those are few and far between. Most are just hurting and don't know how to deal with it. Let's try to reach out to those we can live without and see what happens.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 2, 2008 at 8:43 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

Okay so you are right, we should try and be nice. But we ( you and me) seem to have a radar placed on our foreheads that make people who are mean decide to take out whatever ails them in our direction.
I agree on all of your choices as far as famous people except Brad Pitt because well they have given a chance at life to so many children who were in bad situations.Hey I wonder if they need a new nanny? can I work out a payment plan to get a kid through them? I mean right now I can almost afford a pinkie toe...ugh never mind I guess it just isn't the right time. You didn't mention Corey Haim or Feldman, NKOTB, or Tom Cruise. Surprising, very surprising!

 
At September 3, 2008 at 8:22 PM , Blogger rlock said...

Wow this is so beautifuly written! You never cease to amaze me. Really! Some people I could live without are uhhhhh let's see... uhhhh...I'm gonna start compiling my list and get back to you :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home